Many home owners turn to pergola designs as a means of completing their backyard design project and while iron is the main material used in pergola constructions, wood exudes a cozy feel like no other. But there are many other reasons why buying a cedar pergola makes a lot of sense.
A pergola in its most basic form is a structure with beams and a lattice system on its roof. It can be made from a wide variety of materials. Many different types of wood can be used as material. But you can also use vinyl which does no require painting, or fiberglass which is lightweight, extremely strong, and can come in many different colors. You can even use metal, which won’t peel, rot, crack, or warp.
Yet wood, and especially cedar, is quite a popular choice. A cedar pergola offers a nice natural look that fits nicely in a garden setting. It weathers well and can be very resistant to decay, mold, and pests. You can find cedar pergola kits at very affordable prices, with the most expensive still coming in at less than $1,900. Some are even available for less than $1,200. The prices do depend a lot on what the cedar pergola plans offer in terms of size and accessories.
The variance in the cedar pergola costs can be seen when you try to buy the Pre-Stained Walnut Finish 100% Natural Cedar Wood Outdoor 10′ x 12′ Pergola. One problem is that there are many sellers of this 10 x 12 pergola online,. They all have different locations (California, Michigan, Pennsylvania, etc.) so the cost of the shipping will vary depending on the seller you prefer and your own location. Also, unless you opt for “expedited” shipping you may have to wait a few weeks.
At a glance, it seems like a simple enough structure. You have 4 posts defining a space of 10 by 12 feet. Up top, you have a lattice roof that provides a nice combination of sunlight and shade.
- The western red cedar pergola has a look that will fit in well with a traditional or modern garden. This exemplifies one of the reasons for getting a pergola—you improve the look of your garden. The 4 main posts measure 6-inches thick, and they are strong thanks to the 2″ by 6″ main beams. The pergola comes with the special foot pads that securely anchor the posts to the ground. The anchoring system is so effective that you can use it on a concrete floor.
- The canopy defines a space of about 10 by 12 feet, so that’s a wide enough space for a group of friends (or a couple) to hang out in. That’s another reason you get a pergola in the first place. These spaces become natural gathering places, and that’s especially true if you put in some weather-resistant patio or garden furniture with the space. The internal area is about 9 by 11 feet, so you can put in ample seats. The headroom also measures 6′ 7″ so that should be enough for most people unless you’re entertaining NBA players.
The wood doesn’t have any chemical additives. It’s just that the red cedar pergola is already naturally resistant to insects, rot, and decay. But you may want to use a clear sealer like Thompson Water Seal, which can show off the walnut finish pergola as much as possible. Other alternatives like the Behr Premium weatherproofing and wood stain are semi-transparent. They let some of the wood show, and refinishing becomes necessary after every two years instead of every year.
- It’s also been designed to be easy to assemble yourself. This is a relief for those who think of pergolas as nice DIY projects. With 2 adults, the assembly can take about 4 to 6 hours, even if both don’t have any special tools (or even special skills).
It comes with a very detailed set of instructions that carefully describe and explain each step of the assembly process. You don’t need to get any extra hardware, as the pre-stained pergola kit already comes with its own “Safe-T-Fuse” hardware. The wood isn’t just pre-stained. It’s also been pre-cut and pre-drilled, so all you need to do is to make the various pieces fit like they’re supposed to.
- The pergola also comes with a 30-day “no questions asked” return policy. SO it doesn’t matter if you’re returning it because you found you didn’t have enough space, or somehow you just could assemble it because you’re all alone and it’s too much trouble. Just return it within 30 days and you get your money back.
What’s really special is that after that period, you still get to enjoy a warranty that lasts for 5 years. That’s the confidence that Leisure Time, the manufacturer of this pergola, has on its product.
So exactly what’s so great about this particular pergola? Let’s enumerate every possible advantage:
- It will last for a very long time. That should be clear enough from the long 5-year warranty period. The manufacturer took care in packaging the pieces safely so they’re not damaged during the delivery. The instructions are very easy to understand so you don’t do something wrong that will damage the pergola. They also understand that the cedar wood itself is very tough, even under the elements. It may help when you use a clear sealant, but that’s not very hard to do.
- It’s not terribly expensive. It helps that you can pick and choose your seller so that you can minimize the delivery expenses. But the truth of the matter is that the price is very reasonable.
- It makes your garden look more interesting. They have an architectural appeal that provides a much greater look for your backyard. The pattern of light and shadows can also offer a curious look that’s far from boring. And these shadows move as the sun travels across the sky.
- Lattice roof lets you enjoy the outdoors. When the sun is out, it’s great to just relax in the pergola area. You can use vines and other plants to cover up the sun more if you want. Also, the lattice roof can just as easily support any canvas you put up there if it ever rains. When the sun has gone down, you can enjoy a nice time with friends in the area while the stars twinkle above you.
- You get a defined space without a sense of confinement. The 10 by 12 feet area that this pergola defines is quite roomy, so you can put in some chairs and benches along with a table. It’s very airy and cool, so you won’t have to suffer any claustrophobic feelings while you and your friends gather around.
- It’s easy to assemble. You don’t need to buy special tools like screwdrivers and drills, as the pieces have already been made to fit each other perfectly. The accessories you need to secure them in place are already part of the package. What more do you need? All you have to do is to find a reasonably flat area in your garden that can accommodate the space requirements of the pergola. Or if you have a concrete backyard, you can use this too.
- It can lend support for plants. You can use ivy, vines, and climbing flowers. They will weave up through the supports and beams and give you a spectacular structure that gives you a nature-themed area. That fits well in a garden, but also in your backyard so you don’t have to live in a completely concrete environment.
- It can add a lot of value to your home. Even if you pay full price and spend $2,000 on this, that may still be a bargain down the road when you decide to sell the house. This pergola can make your home look much more attractive to potential home buyers. It can add a lot to your asking price, and it can really charm many people. Your home becomes more memorable, especially if you maintain the pergola properly with yearly wood stain applications.
- It’s very easy to light up. You can just use Christmas lights along the beams and supports, or hang a lantern to the lattice roof.
So if you’re looking for a cedar pergola, this is a great choice. It looks great, it’s affordable, and it’s easy to assemble. With just a few bits of material, you expand the spaces that your family and friends can hang out in.